Just got the vise and tied half dozen flies on it. Some thoughts so far:
- the quality is good, but not excellent. Teeth marks on the shaft. The thumb-screws are plastic and rough. Had to use a wrench to tighten the screw to lock the shaft from rotating freely. Lots of brass shavings fell out of the holes.
- in terms of usability, the lever for tightening the jaws is a little awkward. It sits between the jaws and the riser, so it's hard to immediately find it with my left hand without looking. Perhaps a question of getting used to it.
- no material clip :( I'll have to make my own.
- I rotated the vise towards me and flipped the hook upside down (180deg) to make a polish woven nymph. I had to use the allen wrench to free the riser, then turn it, then tighten with the allen. Awkward -- a thumb screw for the riser would be so much nicer.
- I like the clamp, it's bomber. Having two places for the setscrew gives some options in terms of where the vise can go.
- The jaws are nice, and I tied flies from #10 to #20 without having to adjust anything. That was great. Debarbing a #20 hook was a bit difficult, as I the gape was almost smaller than the diameter of the jaws themselves.
On the overall, I'll keep the vise. It's a bit on the rough side, but I enjoy the rotary functionality and with a few tweaks I'll get used to it.